OWNERS OR GUARDIANS OF ANY ASSETS WHICH ARE CLASSED AS BEING WITHIN A HAZARDOUS AREA ARE LEGALLY REQUIRED TO ENSURE THAT ANY ELECTRICAL, INSTRUMENTATION OR MECHANICAL INSTALLATION IS COMPLIANT WITH REGULATIONS SUCH AS DSEAR AND ATEX. ONCE THE ITEMS OF EQUIPMENT ARE INSTALLED, CLIENTS ALSO NEED TO HAVE A MAINTENANCE PROGRAMME IN PLACE TO CHECK THAT THE ITEMS OF EQUIPMENT REMAIN IN AN ACCEPTABLE CONDITION. F.E.S. (EX) ARE EXPERTS IN HAZARDOUS AREA SERVICES AND PROVIDING EX ADVICE.
HAZARDOUS AREA EX ADVICE
WHAT IS DSEAR?
The Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations (DSEAR) require employers to assess all potential risks where safety may be affected by the use or presence of a dangerous substance at the workplace.
WHAT IS ATEX?
The ATEX directive came into force on 1st July 2003 before transitioning to the New Directive 2014/34/EU from 20th April 2016. The directive ensures that equipment intended for use in environments where potentially explosive atmospheres can occur will not become a source of ignition. Specifically, the ATEX directive ensures equipment is designed to meet the relevant Essential Requirements of the Directive(s).
HOW CAN F.E.S. HELP?
- Our “CompEx” certified engineers are able provide initial free Ex advice on the assets in question. This often naturally leads to a consultation in which our engineering team will conduct a review of the facility in question and give a general report on the condition of the assets.
- We are able to provide Ex Verification services to check if products fall under the ATEX/DSEAR directives.
- Our Process Safety team are able to develop technical reports to meet requirements of ATEX/DSEAR and global requirements.
- Through our experiences within a variety of industries our Ex Engineering team are able to provide bespoke training courses to aid with providing competency to client employees. Click here for more information.
- Ongoing Ex advice and technical support – Through a service level agreement or contract can offer clients adhoc support for when any of their staff require assistance with hazardous area inspection issues.
- A full turn key solution for projects from Process Safety> Ex Design>Ex Installation>Ex Inspection and Rectification> Ex Maintenance advice and guidance; our team’s focus is to ensure clients remain hazardous area compliant in the simplest way possible.
- We bolster our Ex advice with a full range of Process Safety services.
We appreciate that many companies do not have the necessary in house expertise or knowledge to ensure they are compliant with regulatory requirements. Our team of engineers are available to make hazardous area compliance simple with our hazardous area inspection service, and our Process Safety Consultancy capabilities.
HAZARDOUS AREADesign & Verification
Our electrical engineering design team can competently work with clients to complete design and draughting services utilising their competencies such as HND and CompEx 12 . With a wealth of technical expertise & proven engineering skills, F.E.S. (EX) provides design services within hazardous industries for a variety of sectors.
Hazardous areas make designing projects more complex due to the nature of the product being potential explosive. Our engineers are equipped to be able to classify the areas and develop the protection concept and design in compliance with regulatory requirements.
We deliver cost effective, tailored work packages to suit client requirements and specifications from inception > design stages > to the final handover and ongoing maintenance of ‘As Built’ documentation and certification.
We advise organisations on compliance with all legislative requirements and develop solutions for:
- Existing installations – Design verification of existing installations to ensure they have the correct protection concept and zoning methodology has been applied
- Siting & design of new facilities – we offer initial free Ex advice on new installation designs which frequently reduces the project delivery time and cost as potential non-conformances can be highlighted at source and our team engineer solutions to adjust designs up front
- Ability to design new smart hazardous area LED lighting schemes to improve cost efficiencies and maintenance regimes
Our CAD technicians and designers are trained to provide the following services:
- Cable Block Diagrams, Cable Schedules, Termination Schedules, Load Schedules, Panel Schematics, General Arrangements for Electrical projects
- General Arrangements, Detailed Design, Piping GA’s and Isometrics, Building & Civil Layouts for Mechanical projects
- Process safety drawings such as P&ID’s, PFD’s, Hazardous Area Classification Drawings, etc.
- Loop Sheets, Hook Ups, Data Sheets, DSD’s and ATEX Verifications for Instrumentation projects
- Providing assistance with licence agreements
- Document Management, monitoring & reporting support
F.E.S. (EX) operates throughout the United Kingdom, and beyond, providing leading edge design advice.
HAZARDOUS AREAINSPECTION & TESTING
Under the Electricity at Work Regulations of 1989 If you are a manager, director, landlord, owner or guardian it’s your responsibility to ensure that the electrical installation is safe and well maintained. Our experienced field engineers are able to assist in ensuring you remain compliant in hazardous areas with our hazardous area inspection service.
The journey begins with the installation and commission of any electrical system during the build or refurbishment stage of the facility. Electrical equipment naturally begins to deteriorate as time passes by, therefore they need to be regularly checked and maintained.
Our team of field engineers who are fully qualified with a minimum of City & Guilds 2391 or 2394/2395 in electrical inspection testing and CompEx Ex01-Ex04 are able to assist by completing an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) to identify any defects and provide any recommended actions.
Our unique selling point? We can offer non-conformance rectification solutions to ensure any remedial actions are closed out, leaving your facility safe and compliant as opposed to receiving a report with remedial actions to resolve at a later date.
As an accredited NICEIC Contractor, we have the capabilities to carry out testing and inspection of electrical fixed wire installations from initial verification on new installations to periodic inspection and testing on existing systems; all in accordance with BS7671 guidelines.
Our services include:
- BS7671 Initial Verification Testing
- BS7671 Electrical Installation and Condition Report (EICR)
- BS7671 Minor Works Testing
- Portable Appliance Testing (PAT)
- Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT)
- Fire Alarm Testing
- Lux Lighting Testing
- Data Point Testing
Our team of highly trained engineers and technicians have specialist expertise in hazardous areas through undertaking years of high level training such as CompEx Ex01-Ex04, Ex05-Ex06, Ex11 and Ex12 to ensure your assets remain compliant.READ MORE
Our field engineers carry out Hazardous Area inspections utilising our own in house developed asset management software ExTrace®, creating a database that ensures your facility is compliant with regulatory requirements.READ MORE
Our clients benefit from utilising our Hazardous Area Inspection services as not only do we utilise our own inspection software, our team of field engineers are also able to complete non- conformance rectifications at the source of inspection.READ MORE
The correct maintenance and management of equipment should hold equal importance alongside that of Selection, Erection, Inspection and Testing as maintaining assets correctly can help reduce costs by extending the life of the equipment.READ MORE